Keep Safe This Winter with These Tips
When winter hits, it’s not just about wearing the right clothes. You must take measures to protect your home and your car from the harsh weather.
Safety Tips for the Winter
Colorado winters —or anywhere in the Northeast or Midwest— are no joke. This is the season of heavy clothes and freezing weather. Once the holidays are over, it’s suddenly not as fun, but the problem is not just that it is inconvenient and uncomfortable. What’s important to remember is that these weather conditions call for extraordinary measures to keep safe. Here are a few safety tips for the winter:
Prep Your Home
- Keep your gutters clean and drain all outside hoses.
- Make sure you remove any tree branches that could potentially be weighed down due to snow or ice, and be quick to fix roof leaks.
- Keep your furniture away from heating vents.
- If you have a fireplace, be sure to close the flue when it’s not in use.
Prep Your Vehicle
Did you know that over 20% of the vehicle crashes that occur in the US every year are due to bad weather conditions? Protect your vehicle and your life while you drive with these tips:
- Wipe the snow off your headlights, windows and the top of your car.
- Keep important phone numbers for roadside assistance, towing service, and insurance agent handy.
- Change your tires to snow tires during winter.
- Always keep others informed when you must travel alone but mainly, avoid traveling alone.
- Dress appropriately. Beyond making sure you wear clothes that are warm, make sure your clothes can stand certain weather conditions like snow. Wear clothing of insulating and waterproof qualities.
- Beware of icy walkways.
- Go easy on yourself when shoveling snow, particularly if you have special health conditions. You’d be surprised at how many people pass away due to a heart attack over winter.
The extreme weather conditions of the winter make it particularly special when it comes to safeguarding your life and your assets. Insurance is the best way to protect yourself. Contact AAI Central Agency today, and we’ll help you identify and address your insurance needs.